Applications will only be accepted from:
- Applicants who have completed two postgraduate years in rotating hospital runs (a total of 8 runs) by the time they start their first year of GPEP in December (i.e you may complete your runs the year you apply, they do not need to be completed for you to start your application). view more information about run requirements
- Applicants who have worked for one year in New Zealand, such as completing one year of runs in a New Zealand hospital (can be a rural hospital), working in general practice or a related primary care position. You also should have general registration in the country where you work currently (if you're from overseas.)
- Applicants who have paid their application fee before the application closing date.
- Those holding (or eligible to hold) General Registration with the Medical Council of New Zealand (MCNZ) that allows you to participate fully in the GPEP programme without any restrictions. Alternatively, you must be able to provide written assurance from the MCNZ that you will have general registration that permits unrestricted participation in GPEP before you start GPEP 1
- Those with an international primary medical degree who have gained registration with the MCNZ by way of their:
o Comparable Health System pathway, meaning you must hold general registration with conditions that permit you to practise in general practice
o NZ Registration Examination (NZREX Clinical), meaning you must have completed your two-year prevocational training period, and have full and unconditional general registration. (This means that your GPEP Year 1 will be at least your third year of practice in New Zealand)
- New Zealand citizens, New Zealand permanent residents and Australian Citizens
- HWNZ will consider exceptions on a case-by-case basis, prerequisites can be found here
- The College cannot guarantee that you will be granted an exception for the funding. If you would like to discuss, please contact the GPEP Applications team: firstname.lastname@example.org
To complete your application, you will need to provide the following:
- Passport sized photo – preferably in .jpg format
- Copy of your current Annual Practising Certificate (If you do not have a current APC – then your last APC will suffice)
- Copy of your current ACLS
- Copy of your current indemnity insurance
- Please attach a certified copy of proof of New Zealand citizenship (e.g: Birth certificate, NZ Passport, citizenship certificate), permanent residency or Australian citizenship
- If you are not a New Zealand citizen, permanent resident or Australian citizen, please have a certified copy of the photo page of your passport & a certified copy of your Visa page from your passport
- If you hold provisional general registration with the Medical Council of New Zealand (MCNZ), please have ready either your DHB supervisor reports or MCNZ supervisor reports for the previous two years
- If you have changed your first or last name, please provide evidence of your legal name change
- The names and contact details of three professional referees with whom you have worked with in the past two years, including at least one from the past year if possible. Referees should be senior medical staff (supervisors) with whom you have actually worked with and observed you in a clinical workplace setting on a regular basis
- A Personal Statement (maximum of 500 words). This statement should identify who you are, outside of being a doctor and why you wish to undertake General Practice Fellowship training. You should refer to particular experiences, skills and attitudes that you would bring to the specialty.
Please ensure that your referees are aware that you have nominated them to give a reference for you, they will be contacted by an external third party recruiter to complete the reference.
- Please ensure that your referees are aware that you have nominated them to give a reference for you, they will be contacted by an external third party recruiter to complete the reference.
- The reference template will be sent to the email address provided by you on your application. Please make sure it is correct.
- If the recruiter cannot get in touch with your referee, they will contact you directly for another name.
- We will require three completed, satisfactory references before you are eligible to be offered a place on the programme. It is your responsibility to make sure your referees have received the template and returns it in a timely manner.
If your application is successful, you will be invited to attend an interview. The 2019 GPEP interviews will be held in Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch. It will be your responsibility to organise your travel to and from the venue. Please expect to be at your interview for at least an hour and a half.
Wellington: 20 – 22 May 2019 (venue TBC)
Auckland: 24 – 26 May 2019 (venue TBC)
Christchurch: 28 – 30 May 2019 (venue TBC)
An interview will only be offered on completion of your application form (including payment of your application fee).
Note: Spaces in each location are limited so to ensure you receive your preferred location it is advisable to book early. If your preferred location is full then you may need to consider travelling to a different location, at your own cost.
If you have any issues or questions, please contact the team at: GPEPApplications@rnzcgp.org.nz