Frequently asked questions

How does the application form work?

The form has 10 sections and should take approximately 30 minutes to complete. Please ensure you have a read what is required to complete the form . You will not need to upload a CV.

You can move between each section as needed; however, there are mandatory fields in every section that need to be filled in before you can move to another section. An alert will pop up informing you if there is missing information in the required fields.

If you want to move on and come back later, feel free to enter in random information – however, please ensure that you remember to come back and enter the correct information before you submit your application.

You will be able to save the application form and come back to complete it at your leisure; all your data should be saved as you left it. Kindly be aware of the closing date, 05 April 2019, and make sure you complete your application form before then. Late applications will not be accepted.

Please make sure you read through any alerts or advisory messages thoroughly.

The form will take you automatically through to the payment page for the application fee once you click Submit & Pay.

If you have any issues filling out the application form, any questions, or if there are any bugs, please let the team know immediately:

What kind of Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) courses do I need to have done?

We recommend the following resuscitation requirement levels:

CORE Immediate / previously: CORE level 5 assessed – Required for GP Fellowship. 

CORE Skills / previously: CORE level 5 non-assessed – Required three-yearly at a minimum for all registrars on the GPEP training programme (except for those undergoing Fellowship assessment). A list of College-endorsed resuscitation providers can be found here.

The College counts ACLS certificates as valid for three years. For example, if your certificate states you completed the course (or received the certificate) in March 2016, this means it will be valid until March 2019.

We ask all applicants to upload their ACLS certificate, if current, to the online application form and enter the date you received your certificate.

If your ACLS certificate is out of date, please still enter the date you received your most current certificate. Rather than uploading your out-of-date certificate, you can instead upload your ACLS booking confirmation. We will consider it valid and will expect your up-to-date certificate before placements are confirmed in August.

What do I do with my Annual Practising Certificate 

We will be asking all applicants to upload their Annual Practising Certificate to our application form and enter the expiry date.

If you do not have a current APC, then a copy and the expiry date of your most recent APC will be sufficient until you have an up-to-date APC (which should be submitted before placements are confirmed in August).

What kind of evidence of citizenship/visa do I need to provide?

If you are a New Zealand citizen, we will ask you to provide a certified copy of proof of your citizenship. This could be your birth certificate, citizenship certificate, passport, etc.

If you are not a New Zealand citizen, we will be asking for certified copies of the visa page and photo page of your passport. You will need to upload these to the application form.

If you have an electronic visa, please upload a copy of the eVisa letter (visa approval letter) that you will have received. This will also need to be a certified copy.


Can I apply for dual Fellowship? 

You are able to complete a dual Fellowship in general practice and rural hospital medicine. You will need to apply separately for the GPEP training programme and the Division of Rural Hospital Medicine (DRHM) training programme.

We have specific regulations around dual Fellowship in general practice (GPEP) and rural hospital medicine (DRHM).

For more information, please contact or

You can also complete GPEP while taking part in another vocational training programme, such as Urgent Care (although some restrictions apply). 

What kind of employment types are there?

You have the option of either working full-time or part-time in GPEP Year 1.

Full-time is ten-tenths (10/10ths) a week, comprising eight-tenths (8/10ths) clinical time for 12 months, plus two-tenths (2/10ths) a week spent in seminars. Actual hours of work will be determined by the teacher in consultation with you when you start the programme. The hours do not include unpaid lunch breaks.

Part-time is seven-tenths (7/10ths) a week, comprising five-tenths (5/10ths) clinical time for 12 months, plus two-tenths (2/10ths) a week spent in seminars. Actual hours of work will be determined by the teacher in consultation with you when you start the programme. The hours do not include unpaid lunch breaks.

Please think carefully about your choice. If you are College- or practice-employed, then you cannot change from part-time to full-time as your funding wouldn’t be covered with the increase in salary.
It is also not guaranteed that you will be able to change from full-time to part-time. You would need to apply for the change and work through the process with your advisor and the practice.

What kind of funding types are there? 

You can choose from three types of funding - College employed, practice employed or self-funded.

More information about these funding types can be found here.

You will not be able to change your funding type once chosen. Please make sure you choose carefully, and you understand what each type of funding entails.

Why is there a compulsory rural/high-needs placement? 

GPEP is intended to train GPs to work in any New Zealand setting; rural, urban, high-needs etc. Additionally, it will allow the registrar to gain experience that might better secure their future career goals

Can I change placements once allocated and accepted? 

In general terms this is very difficult to accommodate because of the impact on practices and teachers etc. If you find yourself in this situation, we will work closely with you to find the best way forward.

Does my placement/employer need to be accredited ? 

As of the 2019/2020, intake registrars are required to complete the GPEP1 in a Cornerstone accredited practice. The practice will also need to be an approved Teaching Practice and would need to have an onsite GP Teacher or Medical Educator.

How does the RNZCGP calculate PGY status for salaries? 

The College calculates PGY status differently to District Health Boards (DHB). We are not a DHB or members to THE MECA agreement between DHBs and the NZRDA for doctors; we have our own CEA with the NZRDA. When calculating PGY based on College criteria, a registrar will need to complete a full 12 month cycle to gain a new tier of salary. The college does not calculate on an as you accumulate basis which DHBs use in their calculations. The College calculates based on the months of clinical work provided to us up to the time you start on the GPEP programme.

Can I be reimbursed for my prospective ACLS, APC and Indemnity Insurance? 

Yes you claim for reimbursement on these requirements once you have started as an employee on GPEP1.

What is the Voluntary Bonding Scheme? 

We will be asking if you are involved in the Ministry of Health’s Voluntary Bonding Scheme. If you are unfamiliar with this and would like to know more, visit the Voluntary Bonding Scheme website. If you have any questions regarding the VBS, please email the Ministry of Health.